Friday, November 04, 2005

Miracles

I am still reading Yancey’s book but at the same time I started on my Acts marathon. It appeared to be such a coincidence yet perfect in timing. On one hand, Yancey stated how faith did not spring out from miracle; instead, miracle sprang out from faith. Jesus knew that miracles and signs did not convey the message of love nor resolute the hardness of doubt. He emphasized not on miracle works and He restrained Himself to mark only a handful of supernatural deeds during His time on earth. His miracles ceased after rising Lazarus up from the dead and before the triumphal entry to Jerusalem. God Himself shy away from using His power to win us back, and sure enough there was no cosmic drama of rescue on the cross.

On the other hand, in Acts, signs, wonders, powers, miracles, and celestial beings happened one after another. The “Acts of Holy Spirit” launched within Jesus’ disciples and spread all over the land. I read Acts with a whole new sight, as if I read it for the very first time. I was overwhelmed by the power of God upon Jesus’ 11 disciples and Paul. Imagine how the shadow of Peter caused healing to many, the face of Stephen was as bright as an angel when he was persecuted before the Sanhedrin, the couple fell flat dead after lying to the Holy Spirit, angle rescued apostles from the jail cell, and all the mysterious and miraculous works of Paul.

I am amazed how God shifted the spotlight on His disciples rather than on Himself. He sneaked to the back of the curtain and commissioned you and me to carry on what He has been doing. Look around today, where is the power? Where is the “act”? Where is the impartation of the Lord? Where is the passion to live? Somehow, we are buried under the lies and so-called “reality”. We are assumed to be helpless and powerless. Hold on, let’s see what the very word of God tells us, “the kingdom of God is within you – Luke 17:21,” “… you have been give fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority – Colossians 2:10.”

To me, the best scripture that restating the fact of Christ has passed the torch to us is this, John 14:12 – “I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do EVEN GREATER THINGS than these, because I am going to the Father.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home