Friday, October 14, 2005

Wanna know why?

To Whom It May Concern:

"Soren Kierkegaard wrote about God's light touch: "Omnipotence which can lay its hand so heavily upon the world can also make its touch so light that the creature receives independence." Sometimes, I concede, I wish that God used a heavier touch. My faith suffers from too much freedom, too many temptations to disbelieve. At times I want God to overwhelm me, to overcome my doubts with certainty, to give final proofs of his existence and his concern.

I want God to taka more active role in human affairs as well... If God has done the same with Hitler, how many Jews would have been spared? Why must God "sit on his hands"?

I want God to take a more active role in my personal history too. I want quick and spectacular answers to my prayers, healing for my diseases, protection and safety for my loved ones. I want a God without ambiguity, One to whom I can point for the sake of my doubting friends.

When I think these thoughts, I recognize in myself a thin, hollow echo of the challenge that Satan hurled at Jesus two thousand years ago. God resists those temptations now as Jesus resisted them on earth, settling instead for a slower, gentler way. In George MacDonald’s words,

Instead of crushing the power of evil by divine force; instead of compelling justice and destroying the wicked; instead of making peace on earth by the rule of a perfect prince; instead of gathering the children of Jerusalem under His wings whether they would or not, and saving them from the horrors that anguished His prophetic soul – He let evil work its will while it lived; He contented Himself with the slow unencouraging ways of help essential; making men good; casting out, not merely controlling Satan…
… To love righteousness is to make it grow, not to avenge it… He resisted every impulse to work more rapidly for a lower good.

... That is how love is. Love has its own power, the only power ultimately capable of conquering the human heart.”

– Philip Yancey, Jesus I never Knew (Temptation: Showdown in the Desert)

1 Comments:

Blogger angeline said...

self restrain...so beautiful. just read Jesus i never knew recently...your book. love it to death.

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home