Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Meeting the Unexpected

Like a story you usually find in a novel or a movie… the unexpected happens.
It is like a staged encounter that makes you grasp your breath and you thought your heart would stop in that moment.

Sunday afternoon, Sept. 24th, I happily walked out from a bakery store in Great Mall with cranberries walnut bread on my hand with my cousin, Lila. While I was still not done laughing at Lila’s sensitive sense for food, I felt someone was trying to cover my eyes from the back. In a split of second, I thought to myself how familiar the move was. As my eyes met the figure standing behind me, I was shocked and surprised as if my heart jumped out of my throat. It was him, Keng Keat. That is how I address him all this while but I guess he started to go with “Jerry” when he studied in Melbourne. An old time friend who I hadn’t seen for 10 years, and to whom I wanted to express my deepest apology and wished to win back as a friend.

Even though we didn’t get a chance to talk much and I needed time to recover from this unexpected surprise, I was smart enough to ask where he stayed. After I went home, I did a search online and made a few phone calls to track him down. I left him a message and in hope that I would able to take him out before he left the bay area. I was in awe of how all things could come together sometimes. Jerry told me that he saw me passed by when he was browsing through clothes inside a store. Imagine this, if we were heading to the same direction, we would never meet. I am thankful that he called. I am thrilled that he would approach me with poise and kindness.

We spent our dinner together on Tuesday evening after I was lost for almost 30 mins on my way to his hotel. This lesson taught me to look at the map, instead of believing everything on the printed direction. Also, we spent Friday and Saturday together for a few mini tours in the bay area and San Francisco.

This is what I have to say him…

Keng Keat,

It is like learning about you all over.

As you said, I could still see a shadow of your old self but I appreciate who you are today after the baptism of time, successes, and failures.

Thank you for recalling who I was and allowing me to be who I am today. Many things have changed but there is always something remains the same. I had a great deal of fun talking with you about Sarah Brightman, Josh Groban, animes, Japanese series, music, life values, books, business, and management. Indeed that you still like to talk but now, with much meaningful and insightful contents. The best part was that I was not just the one who did the talking. By the way, I have to agree with you that my sense of “direction” is good and it will get better because I never cease to follow the lanterns of my feet.

You are becoming a fine man. I shall not be surprised of your exponential growth in the coming years for I always see the potential in you, even 10 years ago. Just slow down your step sometimes, take a deep breathe, ponder the beauty of God’s creation, and dream a greater dream.

I pray that the exquisite pain is traded in for an exquisite joy that nobody can steal away. I pray that you would one day understand that to loose it all is for the greater purpose from above.

Till we meet again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home